KCBC Specializes in Breast Cancer Screening
The doctors at Knoxville Comprehensive Breast Center (KCBC) are experts in breast cancer screening. Early detection is key to saving lives, which is why it is so important to stay proactive about breast health. Ideally, everyone should make it a priority to get breast cancer screenings, but it is especially important for women over 40 years old. Our friendly, professional team helps people stay informed about breast health by providing advanced breast imaging and screening in Knoxville, TN.
Which Screening Methods Are Available?
We use the most innovative technology and medical equipment available for breast cancer screenings. Here are some of the screening and diagnostic methods we use:
- Screening Mammograms – This reliable method uses safe, special x-rays to detect tumors in early stages of growth.
- Mobile Mammography – This is a convenient way to get a high-quality mammogram. We’ll come to you!
- Digital Diagnostic Mammography – This method uses safe x-rays combined with 3D imaging to assess breast health.
- Screening Breast Ultrasound – This is beneficial for women with a dense mammographic pattern.
- Diagnostic Breast Ultrasound – This kind of ultrasound for breast cancer screening, also called sonography, uses sound waves to create a clear image.
- Breast MRI – The MRI machine uses magnetic and radio waves to create high-definition images.
- Image-Guided Biopsies – We extract a small tissue sample from the breast to diagnose a lump.
- Second Opinion Evaluation – If you’ve had an abnormal screening mammogram at a different doctor’s office, we can help you determine whether it is accurate.
How Do Screening Methods Differ Depending on the Patient?
Since we offer a wide range of screening methods, our breast care specialists can recommend the method that’s best for your specific health needs. For instance, if you aren’t at increased risk of breast cancer and aren’t having any unusual symptoms, an annual screening mammogram could be a good option. However, if you have a high risk of breast cancer, our specialists might recommend a breast MRI.
Stay Proactive About Breast Health by Performing Self-Exams
Performing breast self-exams once a month is a vital part of breast health. Regular self-exams allow you to detect any changes to your breasts, such as discoloration or new lumps. The best time to do this is a few days after the menstrual cycle ends. Simply follow these steps:
- Look in the mirror with your hands on your hips.
- Check if there are any unusual changes in your breast shape, size, color, or texture.
- Check for any visible changes in your nipples, such as a newly inverted appearance.
- Check if there are any changes in the color or texture of your areolas.
- Hold your arms up and repeat steps 2-4.
- Squeeze your nipples to check for discharge or blood.
- Now raise just one arm.
- Use 3 or 4 fingers of your opposite hand (pressed together) to make small, circular motions all over the breast and underarm area, checking for lumps.
- Repeat steps 7-8 on the opposite side.
- Lie down on a relatively even surface.
- Repeat steps 7-9.
Most Breast Screening Methods Are Covered by Insurance
Most of our screening methods are covered by different insurance policies, making them a cost-effective way to take care of your breast health. To learn more, ask us about the insurance companies we accept so we can help you stay informed about your coverage.
Our Doctors Can Determine the Right Screening Method for You
It is our mission to provide first-rate breast cancer screening, diagnosis, and treatment in a compassionate way. Breast cancer screenings are an essential part of this process because they determine the next steps in treatment. Thus, it is important to choose the best screening method for you. Our doctors are experts in this area and can provide you with accurate, helpful advice. You can count on us for all your breast cancer screening needs in Knoxville, TN. Contact us to schedule an appointment!