Just as every woman is unique, so is breast tissue. Modern x-ray technology is sometimes not enough to properly evaluate different varieties of breast tissue, and at the Knoxville Comprehensive Breast Center (KCBC), we offer the next step in diagnostic testing with our high-resolution diagnostic breast ultrasound.
Contact us at our Knoxville, Tennessee location today to schedule your ultrasound and begin the process of knowing what’s going on with your breast health.
What is a Diagnostic Breast Ultrasound?
Although an annual mammogram can usually be effectively used to view and diagnose breast tissue abnormalities, there are circumstances where ultrasound may also be used. Also known as sonography, this type of ultrasound uses sound waves emitted via a microphone-like transducer that bounce off of breast tissues and are interpreted by a computer into black and white images. A gel will be put onto your breast area prior to the transducer being placed on your skin, making this exam very tolerable with minimal discomfort.
What Can a Diagnostic Breast Ultrasound Show?
The benefits of using diagnostic ultrasound in breast tissue are multiple, often allowing the clinical breast radiologists at KCBC a clearer picture to see the following:
- Suspicious lumps in the tissue of children, teenagers and young women whose breasts are still developing without exposing them to radiation
- Masses in women who have mammographically dense breast tissue, which may be obscured on a mammogram.
- Questioned physical findings in mammograms are often given clarification using ultrasound, such as seeing the difference between a fluid-filled cyst and a solid mass.
- Lumps in the underarm or chest walls of women who have undergone mastectomies are better evaluated using ultrasound, as these areas are inaccessible to x-ray.
- The sensitive task of determining silicone leaks from implants can also be done using ultrasound technology
- For breast biopsies and cyst aspirations, ultrasound is helpful for the accurate guidance of needles into breast tissue
- Determining the cause of any discharge in the nipple area
Why Choose Diagnostic Breast Ultrasound at KCBC?
At KCBC, we understand that undergoing breast exams and tests can be uncomfortable and even frightening. We offer a spa-like atmosphere that is both peaceful and calming, with compassionate care and efficient results. Our experienced medical staff specializes in breast diagnostics and will use the safest, most effective methods for your testing with little discomfort to you.
At KCBC, we strive to put you at ease, no matter what you are coming in for. Contact us today to schedule your diagnostic ultrasound or talk about our other breast examination options.